It’s now a bit more than 3 months until we all meet in Melbourne for IFCR’s 10th World Festival. Items of interest to all attending are set out below.
* Registrations – currently 275 players and non-players from 9 countries.
* Registration on arrival – all participants are required to be at the Bayview hotel between 1pm and 5.30pm on Sunday, January 20, to collect their Welcome Pack and their lanyard.
* Lanyard – this MUST be worn to gain entry to the Opening Dinner and the Closing Dinner and the Strath Creek day.
* Welcome Pack – contents are the Welcome Booklet, the sponsors’ sheet, the identification sheet for group photos, the map of Caulfield Park and 2 brochures of tourist information.
* Welcome Booklet – contents will be the mixed teams, the regular teams, the Strath Creek teams, the week’s program of events, the playing rules, the draw, the bus schedule, the mobile numbers of committee members and the sponsors’ logos.
* Mixed teams – cricket will be with mixed teams on Monday, Thursday and Friday and with regular teams on Tuesday.
* Arrival Transport – all players and non-players should advise their travel arrangements to the organisers. Local Rotarians are provided at the airport between 9am and 5pm on both Saturday, January 19, and Sunday, January 20 to facilitate movement to the Bayview hotel.
* Bus movements – transport is provided from the Bayview hotel to the MCG, to the cricket and to Strath Creek.
Welcome from the Australian IFCR Chairman Patrick O’Shea
I invite all IFCR members and family to visit Melbourne from interstate and overseas for the 10th World Rotary cricket festival in January 2019. Melbourne is a great city with a population in excess of 4 million people and can offer a wide range of experiences, both cultural, culinary and sporting.
You will have the opportunity to attend the opening function at the city’s iconic sporting venue, the Melbourne Cricket Ground.
You will also have the opportunity to spend a day-with-a-difference at the spiritual home of Australian IFCR at Strath Creek.
I encourage you to register and I am sure that you will enjoy your time in Melbourne.
Cricket will be at Caulfield Park with all players and friends in the same vicinity. After match presentations and socialising will take place in the function centre at the park.
Welcome from the chairman of the Organising Committee Richard Groom
It has been my privilege to lead a dedicated committee of 6 IFCR members who have put together this festival. The committee is confident that the program of activities you will experience will meet up to your expectations.
From the special opening function on the Sunday night, through the 4 days of cricket and the special opportunities on the Wednesday to the closing function with entertainer Marney McQueen there will be time for fellowship with old friends and with new friends.
The Rotary cricket fellowship is one of Rotary’s larger fellowships and one of the most active. We want all of our guests to enjoy our festival.
Your interaction with your IFCR colleagues from home and abroad during the Melbourne festival will enhance our great fellowship.
IFCR 2019 Festival information
The festival will run from Sunday January 20th 2019 to Friday January 25th. Please read all the text below before accessing the Registration Form.
Cricket grounds Games will be played on synthetic pitches in Caulfield Park and East Caulfield Reserve located in Melbourne’s south east and 15 minutes by bus from our accommodation.
Registration and accommodation are separate processes. Players, partners and travelling companions will need to make application for accommodation to our consultants, Southern World, at firstname.lastname@example.org. They must pay a minimum of 50% to Southern World by April 30, 2018 for their accommodation deposit and then pay any balance by August 31, 2018. Standard practice for Southern World after receiving an accommodation request is to acknowledge with an invoice advising bank payment details and a credit card payment advice. Southern World will also look after any ‘On Travelling’ requests that you have. For these requests you should contact +61 2 8235 3600.
Every intending registrant must send to the festival organisers a separate application including parts 1, 2 and 3 plus (in case a visa is required to enter Australia) part 4. Note that a hand-written signature is required in Part 2 and Part 3 of the Registration Form.
This registration form is to be completed separately by each person wishing to attend the festival. It is requested that, where possible, groups of applicants, maybe from the same city or belonging to a team, send their application forms together with one remuneration covering all.
The registration payment for all will cover airport transfers, the opening and closing functions plus transport to and from Caulfield Park and lunches at the cricket. Player registration will also cover the cost of balls and umpires.
Applicants are reminded to arrange their own travel insurance and personal accident/injury/loss insurance.
Payment of at least 50% of the registration fee is required by April 30, 2018 and the balance by August 31, 2018. Please be sure to get your forms and payments in on time to ensure your registration. Make sure you do your accommodation booking, send your deposit money and register at the same time.
Our headquarters hotel Guests will stay at the Bayview on the Park hotel in Queens Road, Melbourne in premier double rooms or premier twin rooms. Bayview on the Park is situated opposite Albert Park Lake, the public golf course and the Formula 1 race track. Nearby is St Kilda Road which provides 15 minute access to the Central Business District and many of Melbourne’s attractions. All bus movements to the cricket, the Opening Dinner at the MCG or the Wednesday event at Strath Creek will be from the Bayview on the Park Hotel.
We will be offering a 6 day package including a full breakfast each day on a twin share basis. The cost for guests who book together will be AUD 1200 and for guests who book singly will be AUD 600. Guests booking singly will be paired and notified of their room companion.
Program A gala opening function will be held on Sunday evening, cricket on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday, an optional Open Day on Wednesday and a closing function will be held on Friday evening. The IFCR Annual General Meeting will be held at Caulfield Park at 5.15pm on Thursday January 24 with optional team dinners the same evening.
The opening welcome dinner will be held in the Olympic room at the MCG. It offers floor to ceiling views of the ground on one side and of Yarra Park on the other. Our guest speaker is one of Australia’s leading sports commentators.
The closing dinner will be held at Bayview on the Park and will feature leading cabaret performer Marney McQueen who entertained us at the Australian Bendigo festival in 2014.
You can check the festival program here.
Wednesday activity We plan to offer registrants the opportunity to experience a day at Strath Creek which is 90 minutes from Melbourne. Strath Creek is the site of The Village Green Cricket Ground and has long been considered the spiritual home of Australian IFCR. A turf pitch cricket match will be offered to the first 24 players who register for this day whilst enjoyment of lunch and the surrounds will be available for all others.
In front of the pavilion at the start of a game at Strath Creek
It should be noted that our host, John Rogers, at Strath Creek offers bunkhouse and Bed and Breakfast accommodation – plus four ‘glamper’ vans which are self-contained caravans enclosed by roof, plus deck, with all facilities.
The excellent video at John Rogers’ website www.thevg.com.au narrated by John’s son and former Test cricketer Chris Rogers illustrates why Strath Creek is such a special place to members of Australian IFCR.
Visas The organisers will liaise with Australian diplomatic representatives in member countries in an effort to ensure that all members who wish to attend the festival can obtain visas.
Games with mixed teams Games on Monday, Thursday and Friday will be played between teams drawn from all countries. Tuesday games will be as normal. The festival program will contain the mixed teams and the regular teams plus all other relevant information.
Welcome Pack All guests should register their arrival and collect their Welcome Pack on Sunday January 20 from our desk in the foyer of the Bayview on the Park hotel between 1pm and 5.30pm.
Clothing Team shirts are acceptable. Otherwise players should wear normal white clothing for all cricket games.
Transport Transport both ways between Tullamarine airport and the Bayview on the Park hotel is included in the registration package. When details of each guest’s arrival and departure are advised we will plan these arrangements. In particular we plan to have recognisable IFCR members in the arrival hall on our busiest days, the Saturday and Sunday preceding the opening, to meet guests and direct them to their transport.
Transport to and from the cricket and to and from the MCG is included in the standard registration package. Transport to and from Strath Creek is included for those who choose this option.
Playing Kit Kit-bag with bats, batting gloves, batting pads, wicket-keeping gloves and inners, wicket-keeping pads, left handed batting gloves and protectors will be provided by the organisers for each ground. Individual players are free to bring their own equipment if they wish.
Lanyards All registrants will be provided with a lanyard showing their name and country. The lanyard MUST be worn to the Opening Dinner and the Closing Dinner and if attending Strath Creek on Wednesday.
Activities for partners and travelling companions Melbourne offers an immense range of options for partners who may not wish to spend all day at the cricket. The Welcome Pack will contain many suggestions for getting around Melbourne and the local area.
Free evenings Restaurants offering cuisines of many countries are close by the Bayview on the Park.
Car Rental Our festival partner Budget Car Rental offers up to 30% discount off their internet rates for registrants. Go to www.budget.com.au and respond with your details in all boxes EXCEPT Customer Number and Vehicle Type. Enter D576871 as your Discount Code where it says BCD . Next click the Select My Vehicle button and follow the prompts.
MCG tours Optional tours of the MCG with accredited tour guide Richard Groom are offered at 10.15am on the morning of Saturday January 19, Sunday January 20, Wednesday, January 23 and Saturday January 26.
Our Cancellation Policy will apply to the hotel accommodation payments.
1. Cancellations must be advised to our consultants, Southern World, at PO Box 2714 Sydney 2001 in writing. The date of cancellation will be the weekday date (excluding public holidays) on which Southern World Australia and the registrar receives the written advice.
- Full refund less administration fee of AUD50 per person for any cancellations on or prior to the 30th August 2018.
- A 25% cancellation fee will be retained for all cancellations between 31st August 2018 and 22nd October 2018.
- A 50% cancellation fee will be retained for all cancellations between 23rd October 2018 and 21st December 2018.
- The full payment (100% cancellation fee) will be retained for all cancellations on or after 22nd December 2018.
2. Bank transfer charges and bank fees are the responsibility of the client. Southern World Australia will impose a service fee of 3% for Visa, MasterCard and American Express, in addition to the confirmed booking price.
3. Southern World Australia will invoice in local currency (AUD). If payment is remitted in a currency other than the local currency, then Southern World Australia will set the rate of exchange to be applied for payment. Please request a rate just before payment is due.
4. Refunds – There will be no refund for services not utilised once travel has commenced. No refund requests will be processed or considered if made more than 3 months after completion of travel.
We are grateful for the support of our sponsors, the Village Green, the Bendigo Bank, Cricket Victoria, Kookaburra, Budget Car Rental, Sports Medicine Australia, Dyson Group and Scholten Collins McKissock.